Protein in the AM is key for me. It helps keep me feeling full all day and studies have shown that it helps reduce food cravings. I also struggle with getting veggies in the early part of the day. If you are on the go each morning this is a great recipe to have prepped on Sundays and you can grab and go. Here is one of our go-to, kid-friendly, hubby-approved morning recipes.
1-2 cups of veggies, your choice. I tend to use cherry tomatoes and organic spinach
4-6 slices of turkey bacon, nitrite free bacon OR chicken sausage (just enough to fill the bottom of the cups)
1/2-1 cup of mozzarella or cheese of your choice
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray nonstick oil on muffin pan. For this recipe, I'm using a regular size muffin pan. You can do mini l, but your times will change.
2. Precook your meat and line the bottom of each tin.
3. Add veggies.
4. In a bowl, whisk together eggs and pour into each muffin tin. Should be about 2/3 full.
5. Top with cheese, salt and pepper. *Note: feel free to add herbs like basil and any seasoning that you love. I've even done nutritional yeast and it's delicious.
6. Bake 25 minutes or until center is set. They will rise a little.
Serving size is 2 muffins.
For my 21 Day Fixers, 2 Muffins= 1 red, 1/2 green, 1/2-1 blue
Share with your friends and I would love to see your different variations.
I struggle with getting enough veggies in my day. Often times I realize this right before dinner and then I'm clueless on what to make. Enter zucchini noodles, aka zoodles. These have been a game changer for me. I generally just sautée them for 2 minutes in olive oil, garlic and a little lemon, but the other night I wanted something more decadent.
In a medium skillet add...
1 tbsp grassfed butter
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
Cook down for 1-2 minutes.
Whisk in 1 tsp gluten free flour until smooth.
Add 1 ounce mozzarella and 1 tbsp grated Parmesan.
Salt and pepper to taste. Toss in chicken (I used leftovers) and 2 zucchinis worth of zoodles. Cook 2-3 minutes. Voila!