I LOVE cheese and broccoli together. However, it isn't always the healthiest. Same goes for the traditional holiday Casserole with rice, Cheez Whiz, and cream of mushroom soup... NOT healthy. So, I did some research and decided to not completely overhaul this recipe into something unrecognizable, but to make it just as delicious but eliminate the processed yuckiness.
1/2 medium onion, diced
1.5 cups cooked quinoa (I rinsed mine and cooked it in water, but feel free to use veggie/chicken broth for more flavor)
2 heads of broccoli or 1 lb.
1 tbsp butter or oil
1 carton of Pacific organic cream of mushroom soup (nothing artificial!!!)
1 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded. ($ note: it's always less expensive to shred your own)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a medium or large baking dish with butter or oil.
2. In a large sauce pan, heat butter and add onion. Sauté about 3 minutes or until translucent. Add chopped broccoli and sauté. Add salt and pepper to taste, about 1/2 tsp each. Cook 3-15 minutes depending on how you like your broccoli. I cooked mine longer but it still had a nice crunch.
3. Add in cream of mushroom and milk. Stir in cheddar until combined. Add in quinoa. Stir again. :)
4. Pour into baking dish and top with a little extra cheese.
5. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. If you decide to make this in advance and store in the fridge, wait to bake until needed and then cook at 350 for 30-40 minutes.